Lawyers frequently hear the question, “How do I find the best divorce lawyer in Chicago?” Or, “How do I find a top divorce lawyer?” from parties seeking to dissolve their marriage. If you do not have a referral, you may find yourself searching the internet to find the right attorney to represent you in your divorce.
A top divorce lawyer, or top Chicago attorney, is subjective. It all depends on the eye of the beholder. When seeking a divorce lawyer that fits your needs, you need to ask yourself specific questions, such as:
- Do I think my case will go to trial?
- Do we agree on everything, but we want a lawyer to write up the paperwork?
- Do I have a custody fight or custody battle in my divorce?
- Do we plan to share our time equally with the children?
- Are there complex assets that need to be valued or sold?
- Do we have a small marital estate?
- Is my wife or husband hiding money or assets?
- Do I know and understand our entire marital portfolio, including probable values, net worth, liabilities, and the like?
- Do we own a business? How much is my business worth?
- Has your spouse been controlling the income and bill payment during your marriage?
- Do I trust my spouse to be honest about assets and debts?
- Do I have a secret I desire to hide from my husband or wife during the divorce?
- Do my children have health issues? Do we agree on how to handle our kids’ health?
- Does my husband or wife suffer from mental illness or other health issues?
- Or, does my husband or wife have a drinking problem or drug addiction?
- Or, have I been to a rehabilitation program and now I want a divorce?
- Is the best divorce lawyer for me going to be empathetic or more practical?
- Will my top divorce attorney be a hand holder, or someone that contacts me on a need-to-know basis?
It is important to ask these questions when seeking a lawyer. Clearly, if you believe your case is going to go to trial, you do not want to hire an attorney that only handles uncontested divorces, for example.
There are likely other questions that will now come to mind as you think of what the best divorce attorney in Chicago or elsewhere means to you. But in order to find a lawyer that best fits your needs, and will earn the title “top attorney” or “best attorney” in your eyes, you should concentrate on whether the attorney you are considering has the skill sets that will fit your individual case.
For the within reasons, you may wish to interview multiple lawyers until you find the “best divorce lawyer” for you. Do not be afraid to ask the lawyer you interview the hard questions, and bring a list of questions with you to any initial consult. Listen to your gut, and find the best divorce lawyer for YOUR needs. The attorneys at Weiss-Kunz & Oliver, LLC have dealt with each of the above questions in their initial consultations.