Family Law and Collaborative Law Attorneys in Elmhurst, IL
Skilled Lawyers Assisting Clients in Chicago, Oak Brook, Skokie, and the Surrounding Suburbs
The law firm of Weiss-Kunz & Oliver, LLC, concentrates in practicing family law and collaborative law. While there are many divorce attorneys who can handle a basic divorce, there are fewer who can handle the many issues which fall under the umbrella of family law. Family law attorneys have extensive experience not only in divorce, but in many other issues as well. Our attorneys can assist clients with the following:
- Divorce and Legal Separation—Divorces can be contested, uncontested, simple, complex, high net worth or contentious from start to finish. They may be a combination of these as well. Whatever type divorce a client brings, our lawyers have the experience to create a comprehensive strategy, ensuring the most positive outcome possible. We also shoulder all the legal details, allowing clients a little breathing room to deal with their emotions and plan their futures.
- Appeals—For the appeal process to work correctly, an appeal must be filed within 30 days of a final and appealable order. However, if a judge incorrectly interpreted the law or abused his or her discretion, or if a new law has been passed, our attorneys can successfully prepare and present your family law appeal. When an appeal is necessary, we have the experience and essential knowledge to offer the best representation possible. Our attorneys are also skilled in defending against appeals filed on an opposing parties’ behalf.
- Child Issues, such as child custody*, visitation*, and child support, are some of the most emotional areas of family law, requiring not only experience and legal skills but compassion and empathy as well. While a husband and wife may divorce one another, they do not divorce their children and must find a way to work together after the divorce to provide their children with stability and time with both parents.
- Collaborative Law can solve serious marital conflict without the extended time and expense of litigation, turning divorce from a battleground into a process which allows both parties to feel as though they are in control of their lives and their futures. A collaborative, or “team” approach, to divorce keeps the case outside of the courthouse until the day the divorce is finalized. Collaborative cases are usually resolved before the case is even filed with the court, decreasing cost and emotional stress. Attorney Maxine Weiss Kunz is a member of the Collaborative Law Institute of Illinois, and a certified mediator through the Center for Conflict Resolution and the Cook County courts.
- Same-Sex Marriage and Divorce—The Religious Freedom and Marriage Fairness Act was passed by the Illinois Senate in November, 2013, and became effective June 1, 2014. A United States Supereme Court ruling followed in 2015 recognizing the rights of same-sex couples nationwide. Our attorneys realize, however, that same-sex couples still face many challenges in exercising the same rights as opposite-sex couples.
- Spousal Support (also called maintenance or alimony) can be another extremely emotional issue during a divorce. It is important to have a family law attorney who is very knowledgeable regarding Illinois spousal support laws and will fight for the best resolution. In recent years, Illinois spousal maintenance laws have significantly changed for divorcing couples, and your attorney must be well-versed in how the laws can affect you.
- High Net Worth Divorce—Maxine Weiss Kunz has extensive experience with high net worth clients and has successfully litigated against such notable Chicago area firms such as Schiller DuCanto & Fleck, Beermann Pritikin Mirabelli Swerdlove, and Berger Schatz, and spent years working for Rosenfeld Hafron Shapiro & Farmer, one of the top rated family law firms in the Chicago area.
The experienced divorce and family law attorneys at Weiss-Kunz & Oliver, LLC can also assist clients in other matters regarding:
- Family Law;
- Child Custody Evaluators and Other Professionals;
- Prenuptial and Postnuptial Agreements;
- Contested and Uncontested Adoption;
- Child Representation;
- Restraining Orders and Orders of Protection;
- Paternity Issues;
- Protecting Professional Practices or Family Businesses; and
- Hidden Assets.
If you require skilled legal representation for a family law matter, contact Weiss-Kunz & Oliver, LLC to schedule a consultation. While we believe litigation is a last resort and that facilitating and empowering people to resolve their own disputes is the ideal, we are nonetheless aggressive litigators who will never hesitate to walk into a courtroom on your behalf.